Mum’s food is always the best and this biscuit recipe is no exception. Straight from my mum’s gluten free kitchen, these devilishly chocolately cookies are moist and gooey inside with a light crispy outside. Fair warning: this recipe isn’t for the kitchen diva, you have to get your hands right in the batter. My mum and I were both reminded of the I Love Lucy “Job Switching” episode where Lucy goes to work at the chocolate factory. If you haven’t seen it, it’s good old fashioned physical comedy that is worth a watch. If you have, you’ll be reminded of the scene below where all the trouble begins. Try not to play in the sugar too much!
- 1 1/2 c dark chocolate chips (approx. 9 ounces)
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 1/2 c powdered sugar, divided
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cornstartch
- oil for greasing or baking paper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 large baking sheets or line with parchment.
- Melt 1 c chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice, about 2 minutes. Stir, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1c of powdered sugar and continue to beat until mixture resembles soft marshmallow creme. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 c of powdered sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch.
- Combine the cocoa mixture with the egg whites mixture and beat together on medium. Stir in melted chocolate. The dough should turn a dark chocolate colour and become thick and stiff.
- Get your Lucy on and roll 1 tsp of dough into a ball. Then roll the ball into the remaining powdered sugar to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, leaving 2 inches between biscuits.
- Bake on centre rack until puffed and tops crack, approximately 9 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks. Store in air-tight container.
- Retain 1/2 c of the chocolate chips and stir them into the batter after adding the cocoa mixture. Try using nuts, like pecans, or seeds instead.
- To make this recipe lactose free, use vegan/lactose free chocolate chips.
Want healthy daily meal inspiration? Follow me on Twitter, @sarahkimbonner, and find out #whatsforlunch or #whatsfordinner.