Get ready to fall in love with lentils. My Lentil Love salad is fresh, simple and works with any type of lentils. Lentils are high in protein, fibre, carbohydrates, vitamin B, and iron making them an excellent choice for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. The legume is also great for weight loss, controlling blood sugar, gut health, and lowering cholesterol. However, regardless of all the benefits, combine lentils with the ingredients below and you’ve got the ingredients for a long-lasting love affair.
Lentil Love Salad
Serves two as a meal.
- 1 can lentils (any kind, approximately 1 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 3/4 cup raw julienned beetroot
- 1 generous tsp crushed/minced fresh garlic
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme, sage, oregano, sweet basil, and marjoram (or 1 3/4 tbs mixed herbs)
To garnish (optional):
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup julienned cucumber
- 1/3 cup feta crumbled (if not vegan)
- mixed seeds
- Wash vegetables. Drain and rinse lentils.
- Julienne beetroot and cucumber, if using, and chop sugar snap peas in half.
- Combine lentils, corn, peas, and beetroot and toss with garlic, lemon juice, and herbs.
- To serve: Divide salad between two plates or bowls. Eat as is or garnish with cucumber, cashews, seeds and crumbled feta (if not vegan). Serve immediately.