Canadian Thanksgiving is all about the harvest and in my house that means pumpkins, lots of them. Instead of the traditional pumpkin pie for dessert, I opted to try something different and came up with this gluten free, vegan pumpkin cake. Choose a good quality gluten free flour to make this cake something you’ll really be thankful for.
Vegan and gluten-free
- 1 1/2 c gluten-free flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c ground flax seed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- pinch of salt
- 1 c pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 c Vegan Butter melted (like Earth Balance) or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c rice milk
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 c pecan pieces
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening (like Earth Balance)
- 1/2 c icing sugar
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c pecan pieces
- whole pecans for decorating (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400F/200C. Grease or line tins (I used two 8 inch tins).
- In a small bowl, combine rice milk and lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, ground flax seed, salt and spices in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, pumpkin puree, vanilla and rice milk mixture.
- Pour the wet pumpkin mixture into the dry flour mixture and stir to combine. Add 1/4 c of pecan pieces.
- Pour the batter equally into the prepared tins. Bake on the centre rack at 400F for 18-20 minutes or until a knife/cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in tins for at least 10 minutes.
- For the icing, use a hand mixer to whip the shortening until it is fluffy.
- Alternate adding the icing sugar and maple syrup gradually to the shortening and continue to mix until fully combined. Finally, mix in vanilla.
- When the cakes are completely cool, ice one cake with a thin layer of icing.
- Using a mortar and pestle, or a heavy object and some anger, break down 1/4 c of pecan pieces in to a rough crumb. Sprinkle evenly on top of the iced cake.
- Top the iced cake with the second cake and completely ice. Decorate with pecans, if desired, and serve.