The long rides of base training are on the horizon so it’s time to prepare for some savage post-ride hunger. While these muffins pack a lot of energy and protein (in a nice 3:1 ratio), they specifically have a subtle flavour that’s not too sweet so they are easy on the palette. If you want more of a spicy taste, boost the cinnamon and ginger and add a pinch of nutmeg.
Hemp & Walnut Muffins
Gluten free, Vegan. Yummy. Makes 8-12
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbs rice flour
- 6 tbs hemp protein
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- crack of salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 banana
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tbs hulled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs sugar
What to do…
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/175C.
- In a bowl, mix together the flours, hemp protein, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add in the sugar and continue to mix.
- In a small blender/food processor blitz the banana and vanilla until smooth, using some of the milk to get the blender going. (Alternatively, in a separate bowl or well in the flour mix, use a fork to mash the banana, then add the vanilla and milk.)
- Add in the rest of the milk and stir until combined.
- Stir in the walnut pieces and hemp seeds.
- Make the topping by mixing the walnuts, hemp seeds, cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tins (lightly greased, lined or silicone) and sprinkle each with the topping mixture.
- Bake for 25-30min or until a knife comes out clean. Cool slightly before removing from tin. Store in an airtight container.
Based on 10 servings of 85g: calories 266, total fat 12.4g, carbohydrates 31.1g, protein 11g.