People think I’m kidding when I say grocery day is entirely dependent on my banana supply. I can do without but it’s true staple in my diet. Blended into smoothies, sliced on rice cakes, blitzed into ice cream, shoved into my cycling jersey or, and my favourite, mashed with oats for breakfast. Simple, engery-packed, fridge-free ingredients for travelling, and flippin’ delicious day after day after day.
Mashed banana is a great option instead of yogurt and, since you can change up what goes on top, it never gets boring. The almond butter is what elevates this breakfast to stellar but if you don’t have any, straight up banana mash is a close second. Thawed frozen berries are great way to keep berries in your diet year round. A dash of cinnamon can be a welcome addition when partnered with apples. Pecans are a must try! Going on the road? Put all the dry ingredients together in a bag or a tupperware and bring along or buy bananas when you arrive.
- 1 banana mashed
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla
- 1 tbs almond butter
- splash of dairy-free milk if needed
- 3 small handfuls of rolled oats (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 tbs almonds/walnuts/pecans (my favourite)…
- 1-3 tbs hemp seeds/sunflower seeds/chia/sesame seeds/dried goji berries…
- 1/2-1 cup fresh fruit, chopped (berries, kiwi, plums, peaches, apple, pear, pomegranate..)